My first semester at Maryland is coming to a close. Here are a few things I learned as a MFA student/House Mom:
1. A bowl can be used as a cup.
2. Powerade is delicious, especially when it’s free.
3. Revising a story is not the most terrible thing in the world. In fact, it can be kind of fun.
4. Justin Bieber is a disputed celebrity. I watched this music video with one of the guys at lunch one day because he was feeling down.
5. My boyfriend never fails to amaze me. In case you haven’t been able to tell from my last posts, I’m pretty crazy about Rahul.
6. You can never drink too much coffee.
7. Boys will eat anything. Even leftover cookie pieces from making Chocolate Covered Reese’s Oreos.
8. House music is basically techno.
9. No matter how badass frat guys appear, they still like getting homemade cards on their birthday.
10. Naps are actually great, amazing things that make you feel warm inside, even if you mess up your hair before class.
11. Taking a writing workshop with all writers is awesome.
12. Lunch conversations with young guys can range anywhere from listing all The Land Before Time characters to what parties they plan on attending that weekend.
13. If you ask, they will help you make cookies.
14. Even though your professors are legit adults, they’re still just people too. Most of the time.
15. Skype movie dates are the best. Especially when a certain someone won’t tell you the name of the movie beforehand so another certain someone won’t IMDB it….
16. Being in charge of 31 adults can sometimes feel like taking care of 62 children, in the most endearing, fun, amazing way. Seriously.
17. Arrested Development is addicting. Gilmore Girls will always put me in a better mood.
18. You have to get creative with your storage in a small apartment.
19. Working on an MFA is not as terrifying as it seems. Once I realized I was in a community of all writers who all want to write, it became much more enjoyable to…well…write. I’m not necessarily saying it became easier.
20. Don’t sweat the small stuff. It’s just not worth it.
Oh, and in case anyone needs an extra Christmas boost, watch this. And for God’s sake, don’t decorate your house with mismatched icicle lights that only half blink.
In case I don’t write again before Christmas, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone. Enjoy this much needed break and time to be with family!